About the Programme
Our HKIE Scheme A-accredited Graduate Engineer Programme has been designed to provide you with a comprehensive introduction to our expansive world-class engineering operation. Bring your passion and talent to our team and you’ll be supported to develop the well-rounded technical skill set that is required to work on the most advanced aviation technologies.
During the 3-year programme, you will receive regular coaching and feedback from industry-leading technical mentors, senior managers and engineering talent from across the globe. You’ll make meaningful contributions to our world-class fleet – which includes Boeing 747s and 777s, and Airbus Industrie A330s, A340s and A350s – and enjoy many opportunities to collaborate with the world’s best designers, procurement specialists and planners.
The 36-month Graduate Engineer Programme will help you to:
- Develop an understanding of the Engineering organisation; its purpose, structure, ambition, priorities, values and drivers
- Build a broad understanding of a number of core Engineering processes
- Become familiar with both commercial and technical engineering disciplines
- Develop rudimentary engineering and business competencies to make sound engineering decisions
- Progress towards meeting all of Engineering’s level one competency requirements
- Meet all key requirements of the HKIE Scheme A
- Broaden your Engineering knowledge with 45 hours of “continuous professional development” (through a mix of experiential on-the-job learning, self-development, classroom training, guidance from tutors and supervisors etc)
For the majority of the programme you will be office-based, developing and honing important technical and operational skills and knowledge. However, you will also spend time stationed at our main engineering facility gaining hands-on aircraft engineering experience and a deeper understanding of maintenance processes. Many trainees also have the chance to visit our overseas stations to better understand their operations.
Please note; that subject to operational needs and work patterns associated with various training assignments, on occasion you may have to work on shifts.
There are two primary work streams within Engineering and you will spend time in both:
- Technical Services: This will involve liaising closely with manufacturers, suppliers and workshops to manage aircraft systems and preventative maintenance programmes, and to implement cabin and aircraft improvements.
- Line Maintenance: You’ll take responsibility for aircraft maintenance facilities and staff at our Cathay Pacific, Dragonair and Air Hong Kong overseas line stations. This may involve liaising with contractors who provide aircraft maintenance and servicing. You will also see how we provide round-the-clock specialist technical support for our flight and maintenance crews.
- Quality Assurance: Monitoring the airworthiness of our aircraft, you’ll take an active role in adhering to industry and government regulations and achieving the highest safety standards, in conjunction with our Engineering department and third-party contractors.
- Planned Maintenance: You’ll implement effective, top quality and cost-effective fleet maintenance programmes, ensuring maximum aircraft availability and reliability.
Commercial & Projects Stream
- Procurement: You’ll gain experience in the budgetary management and delivery of products and services relating to component and maintenance suppliers.
- Inventory Management: You’ll be involved in the management and availability of aircraft inventory for maintenance and modification programmes, while monitoring issues like stock levels and budgets.
- Cabin Engineering: This involves managing the development and maintenance of new and existing cabin products in fleets, ensuring cabin product functionality and appearance are up to Airlines’ expectation.
- Business Improvement: This will provide you with exposure to everything from departmental training and development and business improvement projects, to data quality for our core Engineering system and aircraft configuration and maintenance records.